Saturday, February 19, 2011

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand... :)

Aaron and I went to a bakery to taste cakes and cookies today (I'm pretty sure everything was sugar free and belly good...) We walked in and within seconds, we were greeted by a smiley lady named Arlene. "Are you here for the tasting?" We nodded and she told us to follow her to the "tasting room" (Fancy Dan!)

When we got there, she heaved 3 large photo albums onto the table and told us that we could start looking at pictures of cakes to help us decide what we wanted. Aaron and I exchanged looks. "Well...we were thinking about not having a cake, and instead having chocolate chip cookies. She frowned. "Well, most people at least get a 6 inch cake. Think about your photos. How will you get the picture of the bride and groom cutting the cake?? How will you eat a piece of your wedding cake on your one year anniversary??? This is something you should give serious consideration to."

All of this came out in a breathless rush and when she finished, it seemed that Arlene recognized her own exuberance because she looked a little embarassed. She smoothed her blouse and said, "But...of course, it IS your wedding. You can do what you want. Unfortunately, we don't have cookies to taste. You'll have to order those. We can still let you taste the cakes we have if you are interested."

I looked at Aaron, put my hand over his and said, "Oh...um, ok. You make some good points. I guess we hadn't really thought of the photographs and other traditions. We would definitely still like to try some cake." Arlene smiled triumphantly. "I'll go get you some samples!"

She left the room and Aaron looked at me. "You really think we should get that little cake like she said?" I gave him a look and said, "No! Of course not! I still want to try some stuff though!" Aaron chuckled and said, "You think it's belly good or no?" I rolled my eyes and said, "Uh. Yeah...duh. Anyway, back to cutting the cake. Who cares about cutting the cake? We can dunk the cookie or break apart the cookie or something...we can do it our way." He looked relieved. "Oh good. Yeah, I think that's kind of dumb to have a cake just for that...and well, do you really want to eat old cake in a year??" I shook my head. "Hell no! That's gross. We'll have our own tradition. How about every year on our anniversary, we'll make homemade chocolate chip cookies together?" Aaron smiled and said, "I like that idea. When we have kids, that will be a good way to remind them it's time to get us a gift."

We were laughing when Arlene walked back in with a gilted tray. On it was a small, frosted cake and 8 little balls of mousse. She cut each of us a piece and explained that one half was chocolate with chocolate mousse and the other half was vanilla cake with cream cheese custard and fresh strawberries. The top was buttercream frosting and the sides were whip cream frosting. She then explained that there were eight varieties of mousse to choose from and a sample of each was provided for us. Then she left the room again. (Maybe she figured that people don't usually like it when you watch them eat...)

"Ok...I didn't think I liked cake, but THIS is delicious!" Aaron was licking his fork like he hadn't eaten anything in weeks. I stared at him, then smiled. "Are you going to pick up your plate and lick that, too?" He grinned and said, "Maybe. Wouldn't it be funny if she came back and everything was gone..." ---"and the plate was completely licked clean?!" I interjected. We both laughed and looked up to see Arlene approaching us with paperwork.

She explained the ordering process for cookies and asked us about our cake preferences. We both liked the vanilla, but we haven't changed our mind about not having cake. Cookies are a way better dessert for such a special day...at least it is in our world. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment