Thursday, January 20, 2011

Same Day Service…at your service

After the busy season was over, Highland Department Store didn’t have much use for all the extra employees added during the Holidays. Even though I knew it was coming, I was still a little bummed when my department store career was over. My neighbor, Debbie, could sense it, especially since she had just landed a sweet job at the local dry cleaners. After gushing about how awesome her new career was, she looked at me sympathetically. “They might need more people at the cleaners… I could ask the owner.” Debbie was digging through her collection of cassette tapes she kept in car as she said this. I sighed, trying not to get my hopes up. “Well, that would be cool…” I zipped up my backpack as we pulled into the high school parking lot and told Deb to let me know as soon as she knew anything. Then I headed to class, promising to meet Debbie back at her car after the last bell. Debbie and I carpooled a few days a week and coordinating meeting times was essential so one of us didn’t forget about the other and get left behind. ( I know what you're thinking...how could you forget a whole person?? Easily...we were teenagers!)

That afternoon, Debbie wanted me to meet her at 2:45 pm sharp because she had to work at 3:30. Later that same evening, I heard the doorbell. I listened to my brother open the door and a few minutes later he called my name. I set aside the homework I’d been working on and looked out my bedroom window. I saw Debbie’s rusty Navy blue Chevrolet in the driveway, and sprinted for the stairs.

Debbie was sitting on the bottom stair, petting our miniature schnauzer, Elka. She looked up as I approached, a smile plastered on her face. “It worked!” I had no idea what she was talking about, our conversation less than 12 hours prior already having worked its way out of my memory. “The cleaners! Critos was there tonight, and I asked if he needed more help, and at first he said, ‘No’, but then he realized he DID need someone else…but it’s for his Griffith store.” Debbie was so excited, she was practically frothing at the mouth as she told me the details. I wasn’t as geared up as her….”But we won’t get to work together…” Debbie frowned. “No, but at least you will have a job…right? Cristos wants you to call him tomorrow.”

After I spoke to Cristos, I told my mom about my plans for the clothes cleaning industry. She nodded, asking how much they paid and what the hours would be. I told her minimum wage. She didn’t look surprised. I would be working on Mondays and Wednesdays after school until the place closed and all day on Saturday. I was supposed to begin next Monday, and I wasn’t sure if I should be excited. I had no idea what to expect.

The following Monday, I dressed for school as I always did on Monday mornings, in pajama pants and an oversized sweatshirt. Because most of my friends also dressed this way after the weekend, it didn’t seem out of the ordinary in the slightest. I forgot that I would need to go directly to the cleaners after school if I was going to make it on time. I shrugged and thought to myself, “It’s the cleaners…they won’t care.”

By the time I realized my GIGANTIC wardrobe fopah, it was already too late. I figured that it would be better for me to show up on time in a bad outfit than late in better attire.I figured WRONG. I walked into the cleaners during their busy “rush”. The small waiting area was full of people picking up stacks of clothing on hangars wrapped in plastic garment bags.

As the crowd dispersed, a middle aged woman with apple cheeks and dark brown hair turned her tired eyes to me. “Pick up or drop off?” she asked. I shook my head. “Neither actually. I’m Erin. Tonight is supposed to my first night.” She sighed. “Ok. Is Cristos coming here?” It took me a minute to realize that her question was being directed at me. “He didn’t say…” Did he say? I had no idea. The exhausted lady picked up an almond colored phone hanging on the faux wood paneling wall, cradling it between her ear and her shoulder as she looked me over. I felt embarrassed, but said nothing. Pretty soon she was talking into the receiver. “Yeah, she’s here. MmmHmm…no, ok…I’ll tell her. Bye.”

The lady replaced the receiver on the wall and introduced herself to me. “I’m Wanda. I’m the store manager. I’m glad Cristos finally decided to hire someone to help me, but you can’t be much older than 15. Don’t you have to go to school?”

I explained the schedule that Cristos and I had worked out. She looked pained and she shook her head. “Damn.” This word was growled, under her breath. I wasn’t sure how I should react. Before I had time to question Wanda any further, I heard the sound of a motorcycle roaring to a stop, and Wanda disappeared into the back room, grabbing wayward items as she went and mumbling curse words.

“What the fuck is that?” I looked up and saw a man staring at me. He was impossibly tall, 6 ft 5, at least. He had a handlebar mustache and shoulder length hair with a distinct bald spot unevenly sprouting in the middle of the top of his head, a few scraggly hairs combed over the milky white ocean of skin between the two rivers of wavy, dirty brown hair. He wore a jean jacket with black leather arms and a flaming Harley on the back. He balanced a helmet on his hip, wedging it under his left arm. I stared at him and he stared back.
“Are you fucking deaf, kid?” I looked behind me and then on either side of me, convinced he was directing his angry questioning at anyone but me. “Wh-what?” I asked shakily.

“Are you Erin?” I nodded. “Today’s your first day, and you’re wearing…what the fuck is it that you are wearing anyway? Are you wearing your fucking pajamas?” I immediately regretted my foolish oversight. I was trying to figure out how to get out of this uncomfortable situation when Cristos went on, “I didn’t tell you about a dress code. I’ll have to dig that shit out of storage.” He gave me one more disgusted look before sighing and saying, “Kids these days! They ain’t got no fuckin sense.” He said the last part more to himself than me. I watched him quietly, not sure if I should talk. The tall man was pacing back and forth, his hair flapping like two hairy wings as he passed in front of the cooling vent.

Wanda emerged from the back, looking frightened and defiant at the same time. “This is my help? That’s all I get, Cristos?” Wait a second…This was the owner? THIS was Cristos? I’d never known a person in a position of authority who threw around curse words like this this guy did. I wasn’t sure what to think about it. It was alarming. It was scary. It was…COOL. I felt a mixture of awe and fear as I watched him and Wanda argue. I realized after a minute that I had been holding my breath, and I let it out in a big gush. Shit! Did they hear me?? I didn’t want to make a sound at this point. I wanted to melt into the wall paper, hide under the counter, jump into the laundry cart, anything to get away from this man’s scrutinizing inspection of me and my inappropriate work wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment